"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Girl of the Day - Adelaide Clemens

We are watching the BBC version of Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End.   It stars one of our favorites, Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock), as the tormented Tory, Christopher Tietjens, who must endure cuckolding by his beautiful and treacherous wife, Sylvia (Rebecca Hall), while having a Platonic relationship with a young suffragette, Valentine Wannop (Adelaide Clemens), all with the backdrop of trench warfare in World War I.   It's a truly great novel (really a tetralogy of novels written in the 1920s), and a very very high quality TV drama.

Anyway, I had never heard of Ms. Clemens before, but she is tremendously affecting in the show and I would expect we might see more of her going forward:

No comments:

Post a Comment