"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why I Haven't Been Blogging

You may have noticed I haven't blogged for the past three weeks.   I can't point to a single reason.   I've been fairly busy at work, with a number of depositions that required travel out of town.   I've also been fairly immersed reading spy novels (12 books by Daniel Silva) and murder mysteries (8 books and counting by C.J. Box).   Then, too, I've been painting and generally fixing up our kitchen, so there's been tasks to do around the house and trips to the hardware store.  

It's also been a very cold winter here in Milwaukee, which for some reason has made me lethargic.

Most of all, I guess the lack of blogging must signify some fundamental disconnect from politics.   Obamacare is a disaster -- here's today's big news, about a new CBO report that predicts more than 2 million jobs lost over the next decade because of Obamacare -- but we all know this and it still doesn't seem that anyone is going to be unable to unring that bell.   The economy muddles along and employment is flat, flatter, flattest, no matter what Obama says...


... and yet no one has any real chance of unringing that bell either.   (You would have to unwind the regulatory state, especially the EPA, then unleash the frackers to give us a cheap energy-driven boom.   But that's easier said than done with a Democratic Party in thrall to the idiocy of the global warming fanatics.)   People claim you are a racist if you note that the breakdown of the black family has been a bad thing for blacks, or if you cite the truism that raising the minimum wage will harm young blacks looking for their first job.   People claim you are a misogynistic woman-hater if you note that women are fully capable of buying their own contraception, or have the temerity to believe that killing babies is a bad thing too.   People claim you are an anti-science Neanderthal if you observe that the world doesn't seem to be getting warmer over the past 15 years.   People claim you are evil and beyond civilized society's contempt if you hold the same position on gay marriage President Obama held less than two years ago.   Etc.  

What on earth is the use of arguing with people anymore?

Anyway, I'm back, for now at least.   But my mood persists.   Politics in America right now is a lot less interesting that figuring out how to fix the backsplash behind the stove.  

No comments:

Post a Comment