"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Duck Dynasty Update - The Utterly Predictable Conclusion to an Utterly Trivial Story

On December 19th, I wrote the following on the Duck Dynasty "scandal":

Now, I don't think the suspension will last very long -- Duck Dynasty is a huge hit, by far the biggest hit A&E has ever had, and they're in business, so you do the math. And I also am not convinced that the whole thing isn't a publicity stunt. Duck Dynasty's new season starts January 15th, they're obviously interested in capitalizing on its popularity and growing the audience share, etc. Again, you do the math.

Well, lo and behold, on December 27th, in a transparent holiday-weekend, Friday news dump (and while yours truly was still on vacation), A&E caved and reinstated Phil Robertson to the program, after his family said they would walk if he remained suspended.

Not a big surprise.   Money talks, bullshit walks.  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment