"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Birthday Today - The King!

Not a big Elvis fan, but it's hard to say he didn't have a huge impact on American pop culture... he would have been 79 today if he had lived.   What kind of elder statesman of show business would he have been?   Frankly, I tend to think that he, unlike, say, Frank Sinatra, would have faded out in popularity if he hadn't become, essentially, a martyr to his own excess.  

Anyway, this is the Elvis that matters:


No comments:

Post a Comment