"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, October 4, 2013

Why This Isn't the 1995 Shutdown

Here's my list of reasons, with the biggest one last:
  • Barack Obama is not Bill Clinton.
  • Ted Cruz is not New Gingrich.
  • The economy in 2013 (stagnant) is not the economy in 1995 (booming).
  • The national debt in 2013 ($16 million and growing/98% of GDP) is not the national debt in 1995 ($5 billion/65% of GDP).
  • The image of America in 2013 (weak) is not the image of America in 1995 (a Colossus astride the post-Cold War world).
  • The readership of the New York Times in 2013 (shrinking) is not the readership of the NYT in 1995.
  • The readership of the Washington Post in 2013 (shrinking) is not the readership of the WaPo in 1995.
  • Newsweek no longer exists; Time is moribund.
  • ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS have dwindling viewership.
  • FoxNews has growing viewership.
  • Rush Limbaugh, Hugh Hewitt, Mark Levin, Sean Hannity.
And the biggest reason why this isn't 1995:































Prezidizzle Obizzle can't get away with his my-way-or-the-highway crap in 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment