"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Girl of the Day - Jean Arthur, or How Congress Works





































This was an easy one... Jean Arthur was born today in 1900.   One of my absolute favorites, with maybe the best voice in Hollywood -- what I'd call sexy squeeky.  

Here's a famous scene from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, with Arthur explaining how Congress works (or doesn't work) to Jimmy Stewart.   Seems oddly appropriate after the shutdown fiasco:


No comments:

Post a Comment