"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

VDH Sums It All Up on Syria

Victor Davis Hanson sums up the contrast between Bush and Obama on going to war:

When Bush decided to take us to war, he got... the four requisites you need. He got the American public opinion up to 70%, he got an overwhelming Congressional vote of authorization, he got 40 allies, and he went to the U.N. and made a genuine effort. This Nobel laureate, this work across the aisles sophisticate has about 35% approval for what he’s doing, he has no Congressional support, and just about was humiliated. He has no allies, and he’s not only not gone to the U.N., but before he says he might go to it, he humiliated it and called it hocus pocus. So it’s inept, and all he can talk to, what is he reduced to? He’s reduced to I’m not Bush, I’m not Bush, this isn’t Iraq, this isn’t Iraq.

Just so.   I would add...  Bush was a good and decent man who cared about this country deeply.   I do not trust that Obama cares about America as much or as deeply.   Or at all, frankly.   He's too much the academic leftist, steeped in the culture of anti-Americanism that anyone who has been on Ivy League campuses knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment