"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Invisible Congo

John Ford has a terrific piece at Hugh Hewitt's blog about the civil war in the Congo, which has already claimed millions of lives, mostly civilians.   The fundamental conflict is now and apparently always has been an ethnic conflict between Hutus and Tutsis that spilled over from Rwanda in the 1990s.   Which begs the question -- why is it that primarily white Western cultures criticize themselves for "racism" so much, when they actually have very little racism anymore, while the most virulent and violent forms of racism (defined as vilification of others on the basis of group identity) are among non-white non-Western cultures (Sunni-Shia antagonism in the Middle East, and Hutu-Tutsi antagonism in Central Africa)?   Not sure what all that means, but it's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment