"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

John McCain Plays Poker

OK, this is old news.   Apparently John McCain, former Republican presidential candidate, was caught on camera playing online poker during the Senate hearing earlier this week on whether to authorize a military strike against Syria.   Here's an actual shot over his shoulder of him playing:

























Now, is this a scandal?   Yes.   A Senator participating in hearings about the momentous decision of sending servicemen into harm's way should not be playing video poker.   A Senator under any circumstances -- I don't care if he's listening to speeches about whether to move Arbor Day to a Monday -- shouldn't be playing video poker in the Capitol Building.   It's unseemly, it's disrespectful, it's gauche.   He is paid by my tax dollars, after all.

But the real problem I have is this... what kind of grown man sits and plays a little handheld game like this while he's at work?   Probably too many supposedly "grown" men, I know.   But, still... this is some childish shit, isn't it?   Real men don't do this sort of thing, period.  

Seventy-six freakin' years old and he's playing tiddlywinks while Rome burns.   Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment