"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, September 13, 2013

It's Come To This

Just another highlight of the Obama Administration's "smart diplomacy":
 
John Kerry's Russian counterpart mocks him for talking too much
Secretary of State John Kerry's negotiations with the Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov got off to a rocky start Thursday, with the Russian mocking Kerry right at the outset.
"They got off to a really bad start yesterday --- partly because of the Putin op-ed and partly because Kerry in the opening remarks spoke at length --- and I mean at length --- compared to the unprepared few welcoming comments from the Russian counterpart," NBC News foreign correspondent Andrea Mitchell said on "Morning Joe."
"And then the Russian minister said at the end, very tartly, 'Sometimes diplomacy demands silence.'"

It's come to this.   I'm a hardcore Cold Warrior.   Reagan facing down the Russkis in the 1980s was the highlight of American foreign policy for me.   I think (I know) that Alger Hiss was a Russian spy.   I think (I know) that much of what Joe McCarthy said about Soviet spies in the American government was true.   I think (I know) that Soviet Communism under Lenin and Stalin and continuing on after that was a regime of mass murder on an epic scale -- the Gulag, the terror famine, the purges, etc.  

So imagine the quantum of fecklessness you need to make me side with the Russians!

Sheesh!   Lavrov may be an ex-KGB thug for all I know, but he's right about one thing in spades... John Kerry (like his boss, Barack Obama) just doesn't know when to shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment