"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Girl of the Day - Mitzi Gaynor






































It's Mitzi Gaynor's birthday today... she turns 82.   I remember her best from South Pacific, but she was a wildly talented singer/dancer in many many shows and, in particular, on TV in the 1960s.   For instance, maybe everyone knew this but I didn't until today... she was the act that went on between the Beatles two numbers on the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles first appeared.  





Wow!   That's a lot better than dancing bears or plate-spinning.

And, of course, consider this your obligatory Miley Cyrus-Decline and Fall of Civilization post.   Talent and class and sexiness and beauty and adulthood are out.   Idiocy, vulgarity, childishness and grossness are in.   Get with the program!

No comments:

Post a Comment