"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, August 2, 2013

Your Neighbors Are Stealing From You

Did you know that?   Your neighbors are, more and more, simply stealing from you.   Oh, they don't break into your house and steal your change jar and they don't take your kids' bikes out of the garage.   But they're stealing from you anyway... that is, if you have neighbors who are on Social Security disability.   I've harped on this before, but here's another report from Veronica de Rugy in NRO that makes the point again with this chart:




Oh, and she adds this nugget:

On a related point, the NPR story points out that in 2011 33.8 percent of people getting disability insurance suffer from back pains and other musculosketal problems. In 1961, only 8.3 percent did.

Why should this be?   In an economy with much less farming and manufacturing and mining, and much more "white collar" office work, why should four times as many people be having disabling back injuries?   It could be because of obesity, but I think Occam's Razor suggests an easier answer... a lot of people are scamming the system by claiming to have "pain" that really can't be cured or even confirmed by medical science.



No comments:

Post a Comment