"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Song of the Day - Sugar Shack

Fifty years ago in 1963, the longest running number one song on the Billboard Hot 100 -- topping the charts from mid-October to mid-November -- was "Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs.   This song was what America was listening to right before the JFK assassination, Dallas, the grassy knoll, "I'm a patsy," and all of the other cultural markers that we now say meant that American had changed forever.





Never.   Heard.   Of.   Them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment