"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, April 29, 2013

President Nicklaus





















President Obama, during his 52 months in office, has played a total of 115 rounds of golf, according to a study by the Government Accountability Institute.   Is that a lot?

Well, a little more than two times a month, or about 25-30 times a year, doesn't sound like that much.   But, that's a lot more golf than I've ever played, and, in my experience, would qualify him as an avid golfer, not a casual golfer.  

More importantly, in my view anyway, he's doing this while he has a very very time consuming and stressful job.   I look at his job as being a job that's equivalent to my having a trial going constantly.   I can't imagine ever playing golf in the middle of a trial.

And, even more importantly, he's doing it at a time when he has two young daughters.   Again, I can't imagine telling my wife that I'm going to bail on her and the kids for six hours every other weekend.   I don't think the Regular Wife would stand for it.   She'd demand (and correctly so) that I spend time with my children.

So, is it a lot?  

Yes, I think it's a lot, and too much.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment