"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, April 5, 2013

It's Come to This

A federal judge has lifted the FDA's requirement that girls under 17 have a prescription and parental consent to receive the "morning after" birth control pill.  

Really?   I won't be the first to note this, I'm sure, but girls who are 11 or 12 or 13 or 14 or 15 or 16 can't do a lot of things without parental permission.   In many schools, for instance, the school nurse won't give a middle-school girl a Tylenol without calling the parent first.   Girls need permission slips to go on field trips, or to play sports, or to go on overnight retreats.   (Boys do too, of course.)   But this federal judge thinks it's OK to have no restrictions on girls obtaining strong medicine (whether you consider it an abortifacient or not), over the counter, without the input of their parents or the direction of a physician.  

Sheesh!   Is the "right" to kill your baby really so sacred that we have to ignore all normal common sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment