"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Happy Birthday to Pope Benedict XVI!

























A very warm birthday greeting to Pope Benedict XVI.   What a great man and great scholar... during Lent I read his daily observations, which were very moving, particularly given the circumstances of his giving up the papacy in an act of selfless devotion to the Church. 

The requirements to be named a "Doctor of the Church" include eminens doctrina, insignis vitae sanctitas, Ecclesiae declaratio (i.e. eminent learning, a high degree of sanctity, and proclamation by the Church).   I believe that Benedict will be named a Doctor of the Church within my lifetime, taking his place with Aquinas, Augustine, Jerome, Gregory the Great, Ambrose, and the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment