"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, April 19, 2013

A Ray of Light

The uncle of the two Boston bombers was waylaid by the media today, and gave what I have to say is a wonderful, impassioned defense of America (while calling his nephews "losers"):

“How do you feel about America?” he was asked. His response: “I say, I teach my children and that’s what I feel myself, this is the ideal microworld in the entire world. I respect this country, I love this country. This country, which gives chance to everybody else to be treated as a human being and to just to be human being — to feel yourself human being. That’s what I feel about this country.”
 
Here's the whole thing:







I think this gentlemen did his community (the Chechen-Americans and the Muslim-Americans) a whole lot of good with this on a day when many Americans perhaps would otherwise equate Chechen Muslims with terrorism.  

It always bears repeating how small a minority the real Islamist terrorists are among the Muslims in the world, and how often the characteristics of terrorists -- largely unemployed, disaffected, embittered young men, "losers," as his man says -- overlap with the losers who do things like Newtown or Aurora or Virginia Tech.  

No comments:

Post a Comment