"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

More Stories You May Have Missed - The Printed Gun

While the rest of us float around on the shimmering surface of media being entertained, engineers and dreamers are constantly working to change the world.   What happens to manufacturing when 3-D printing becomes an everyday reality?   Better, cheaper, easier, more accessible products.   Less and less of a reason to pay rent-seekers in the government to regulate commerce.  Fewer jobs in manufacturing and assembly?   Maybe.   No one knows.   But strange times are coming.  

Like Burke, we might want to ask the question:  when people tell me they are free, I should want to know what use they will put their new-found liberty toward before I congratulate them.   I want more liberty.   But I also don't know what the ramifications of being able to print a gun will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment