"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Like I Said... An Interesting Holy Week Awaits Us

From Rocco Palmo at Whispers in the Loggia:

In a sudden announcement this morning from the Holy See, Pope Francis has yet again turned Vatican protocol on its head – shredding the earlier plan of beginning the Easter Triduum in St Peter's Basilica, the new pontiff has instead opted to go to a juvenile prison in Rome to celebrate Holy Thursday's Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper, at which he'll wash the feet of 12 inmates.
 
Like I said yesterday, symbolism isn't everything, but it matters.   Pope Francis is quickly moving the Church toward an evangelization that focuses on calling on Christians to help the least among us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment