"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cardinal Collins: "This Isn't Politics"

Via the great new blog, Whispers in the Loggia, this is Cardinal Thomas Collins of Toronto reflecting on the papal conclave.   I love it when he bristles a little when, in responding to a question about whether he has a favorite, he says that they are going to pray about it, and  the reporter says he's being a politician.   Cardinal Collins says "this isn't politics, it really isn't, that's the way it's spun, but this is the choosing of the Vicar of Christ on Earth, it really is a prayerful thing."   He goes on to say that "a lot of the categories used to define such things [he undoubtedly means progressive or reformist or traditionalist or conservative] aren't really helpful."  

The bigness of Cardinal Collins as a man, the largeness of heart and soul, shines through.   The reporter is doing his job, and there's nothing wrong with that.   But the contrast is striking.   One man is thinking on a time horizon of a news cycle, the other on a time horizon of eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment