"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rolling Stones Songs That Didn't Make My Top 20

Over the next few days I'll be finishing up my top 20 list of Rolling Stones songs, but it's probably pretty obvious what's left, so I thought I'd go back and review what didn't make the list.   When you think of Beatles songs or Springsteen songs that wouldn't make the top 20 for those artists, you get a sense of just how great a group was -- even their second-tier songs are terrific. 

Anyway, here are some of the Stones songs that didn't make my top 20:

Angie
Fool to Cry
Beast of Burden
Miss You
Sway
Stray Cat Blues
Soul Survivor
Sister Morphine
Moonlight Mile
It's Only Rock and Roll
Respectable
She's So Cold
Just My Imagination
Let's Spend the Night Together
Paint It Black
The Last Time
Ruby Tuesday
Get Off of My Cloud

Wow!   That would be most group's greatest hits, but for the Stones it's a list of songs you might sometimes skip through on the CD player to get to the earth-shattering greats.   Consider Sister Morphine and Moonlight Mile, two unbelievably great songs, yet they are #8 and #10 on Sticky Fingers' second side, and they pale in comparison with Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and Bitch.   Meanwhile, on the same record you also have Sway and Dead Flowers.   Moonlight Mile might actually be the sixth or seventh or even eighth best song on the album!

Unbelievable:


No comments:

Post a Comment