"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pretty Pathetic Poll

That's what PPP stands for apparently.   In today's poll of Ohio voters, they have Obama up five in a D+9 poll.   Over at Hot Air they capture the absurdity nicely:

Oh, let’s just skip the rest of the preliminaries and go right to the sample.  The D/R/I on this poll is a ridiculous 45/36/19 that assumes Democrats will add six points to their 2008 turnout while independents largely stay home.  In 2008, recall, the exit polls showed the electorate at 39/31/30, and the 2010 midterm put it at 36/37/28.  Has anyone produced any evidence of such a wave of Democratic enthusiasm?  Even the CBS/NYT/Q-poll today showed GOP enthusiasm leading by 14 in Ohio, 57/43.

Democrats will not turn out in greater numbers in Ohio in 2012 than they did in 2008 during the wave of Obamamania.   Independents are a growing segment of the electorate, not a shrinking segment.   Republicans are more enthusiastic than Democrats.   Every responsible poll should reflect these basic facts.   If they don't, they're worthless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment