"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 22, 2012

Girl of the Day - Deneuve!


























It's Catherine Deneuve's 69th birthday.  It's hard to imagine how there has ever been a more beautiful movie actress, although it would make for an interesting essay (one I have no time to write) whether some actresses are just too beautiful... thus, you can imagine a beautiful but imperfect or idiosyncratic-looking Meryl Streep playing a lot of different kinds of roles, but if Deneuve or Grace Kelly or Jacqueline Bisset are on screen, it's hard to get around the fact that they are head-spinningly beautiful.   For instance, you can't imagine them playing the role Streep played in Deer Hunter of a working-class girl working in a grocery store married to a boy who works in the steel mill and then gets drafted to go to Vietnam.   If Deneuve was working in a grocery store, about the only narrative you can imagine would be that she would be discovered by a modeling agency and be on the cover of Vogue within a month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment