"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

For What It's Worth

The Regular Guy was travelling today.   When I take cabs from airports I always try to talk to the cabbies, just to get a sense of another perspective that's different from mine.   Today my cabbie from Fort Lauderdale to Boca Raton was a Haitian immigrant (who proudly told me he was an American citizen).   Large black guy with a great Caribbean accent.   He has three kids, boys, 14, 12 and 10, so we had a lot in common.   (Note:  forget about politics... you always have more in common with people who have kids.)

Anyway, for what it's worth he told me that he had voted for Obama in 2008 but was going to vote for Romney this time around because Romney will be better for the economy and jobs.   He also interestingly told me that many of his black friends won't vote against Obama, but won't vote for him this time, and will instead stay home and sit this one out.

As I said, for what it's worth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment