"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 15, 2012

Anti-Politics

We forget in our obsession with politics that most of what makes life worth living happens without any regard for politics and without any political point at all.   Three things this weekend fit this category.   Being a Democrat or Republican doesn't matter when you're considering extremes of human courage and curiosity, like Felix Baumgartner's unbelievable parachute jump from the edge of space, 128,000 feet up:



Nor does politics matter when you're rooting for your favorite team and they do something so wonderful you can't believe your eyes, such as the Cardinals 9-7 come-from-behind victory in Game 5 of the NLDS on Friday night:




(By the way, Pete Kozma is about the most laconic sports figure I've ever seen.)

Nor does politics matter (or it shouldn't matter) in looking at great art.   The Regular Wife and Son went to see an exhibition at the Milwaukee Art Museum (actually a very fine museum that has terrific special exhibitions), which included a Rembrandt.   What could be better?



No comments:

Post a Comment