"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, October 26, 2012

A Thought Experiment

A gay man working to help elect a gay liberal Democratic congressman to the seat vacated by Tammy Baldwin, the openly lesbian Congresswoman now running for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin, was viciously attacked and beaten by a man who said he had been "warned."   The beating occurred days after anti-gay slurs were spray-painted on his car, slurs that included the hate speech word "faggot."   The national media has immediately focused on this story in the swing state of Wisconsin, questioning whether the "radical right" has become violent in its desperate efforts to roll back the advances gays have made over the past decade, including with regard to gay marriage.   Pundits have openly discussed whether the attack, because it provides such clear evidence of Republican "extremism," could so shock independent and moderate voters as to swing Wisconsin to President Obama, providing him the final electoral college votes he needs to be re-elected to the Presidency.

Oh, wait.   I misread that story:


Wisc. Gay GOP Worker Hospitalized in Politically Motivated Attack

Violent left-wing thuggery in Wisconsin is becoming a trend in the weeks leading up to November's presidential election. After the son of State Senator Neal Kedzie, Sean, was brutally beaten late last week, another individual with ties to a GOP politician has suffered a severe beating with explicitly political motivations. 


If true -- and I hasten to add that it might not be, as I can see a scenario where this is a copycat of the earlier Wisconsin incident -- this could be a huge story, a national story, and there is no question in my mind that it would be if the facts were as I described above, where a liberal Democratic activist were attacked because of his sexual orientation.   But it's not.   Because the liberal media doesn't care about individual gay men or women, they only care about gay men or women as constituencies of liberal Democratic politicians.  
 
***
 
UPDATE:   It turns out that my caveat above ("If true -- and I hasten to add that it might not be, as I can see a scenario where this is a copycat of the earlier Wisconsin incident -- this could be a huge story") was prescient.   The "victim" has recanted.   An elaborate hoax by a sick individual.    

No comments:

Post a Comment