"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Triple Whammy

Three datums should, in a just world, dominate this week's news.

First, sometime within the next day or so, the national debt will exceed $16 trillion.   It is at $15,999,488,000,000 as I write this.   No, wait, it's gone up a million since I typed that last sentence.   Oh, wait, it's now at... well, you get the picture.   Spin that, MSM!

Second, today it was also announced that we now have a record 46.7 million people on food stamps.   I'll be blunt.   I do not believe that more than 15% of Americans are starving.   And, absent starvation, I do not believe it is my responsibility to feed my fellow free citizens.   Does that sound harsh?   Too bad.   When there are more people on food stamps than people who don't have cell phones, or don't hae Internet access, or don't have cable TV, or don't have flat screens... well, something is very, very wrong.   We are becoming a nation of moochers, and the Democratic Party is the party of mooching.

Third, on Friday the latest unemployment figures will come out.   I do not believe that the August numbers are going to be very good, partly for unfair reasons... nothing much happens in August anyway.   But they'll come out on Friday morning, the Friday after the Democratic convention ends, and the number, if bad, will dominate the news over the weekend.  

Debt, food stamps, unemployment.   Are you better off?

No comments:

Post a Comment