"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

On "The Call"

It will be "the Call" in Wisconsin for a long time -- I mean the referee's call that gave Monday night's game to the Seahawks and stole it from the Packers.   Now ESPN has the following information about the referee who made the call:

Lance Easley, the side judge at the heart of the controversial call, never had worked above the Division III college level before becoming a replacement official.

The league provided information stating that Easley had four years of officiating experience, none above the Division III level.

Let me just list the Division III teams who are in the top 10 nationally:

Mount Union

Mary Hardin-Baylor

St. Thomas (Minn.)

Linfield

Wisconsin-Whitewater

Wesley

Bethel

St. John Fisher

Baldwin-Wallace

Hobart

I'm just casually thinking that the games played by these colleges -- and they are the best in D3 -- are nowhere near as fast as D1, must less the NFL.   I doubt there is a player on any of these teams who will be drafted in the NFL this year.   What could possibly have made anyone believe that someone with four years of experience refereeing in D3 could possibly referee an NFL game?

No comments:

Post a Comment