"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Not as Big as Wisconsin, But Still Big



A dollar bill is about 2.6 inches by 6.1 inches in size.   $16 trillion of them -- the national debt -- would, by my calculations, cover an area of more than 63,000 square miles.   That's larger than 27 of the 50 states, and just a tad smaller than my home state of Wisconsin.  

At President Obama's current pace, if he's re-elected, we should add about another 20,000 square miles in debt by 2016.   Idaho, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment