"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Two Stories, One Story VI

Haven't done this feature for awhile, but the Obama "magic composite white girlfriend" and the Warren "I'm approximately 3.5% Cherokee" stories beg for the treatment.   Here's my take.

Conservatives believe in things outside of themselves.   Liberals only believe in themselves.  

Conservatives believe in objective truth.   Liberals believe that truth is up for grabs and a matter of "rhetoric."

Conservatives believe in doing actual things.   Liberals believe in advancing their careers.

Conservatives believe in merit.   Liberals believe in resumes.

What do both of these stories have in common?   Liberals lying in writing to advance their careers by pretending to be cooler and hipper and more exotic than they really are.   Obama was a half-white preppy from Hawaii, but he wanted to tell the story about being an angry black man whom his white girlfriend just couldn't understand.   Warren was a lily-white product of academia, but she wanted to cover herself with the patina of "minority" status.

In short, both of them were pretending to be authentic.

Only in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment