"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, March 19, 2012

Girl of the Day - Ursula Andress

We tend to think of the 1950s and early 1960s as a more innocent time.   This is the kind of simplistic narrative that the mainstream media specializes in... we were innocent until the JFK assassination, and then we weren't.   I've always been suspicious of narratives of The Fall (and even more suspicious of narratives that we can recreate Eden, utopia, the Great Society, the Worker's Paradise, whatever you want to talk about).   People have always been the way people have always been.   There never was an Age of Innocence and there never will be.

Which is a pretentious way of discussing the Ur-Bond girl from the early 1960s, Ursula Andress.   Not much by way of innocence in this iconic photograph:



Ursula Andress turns 76 today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment