"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pass the Law Now



The House, with a Republican majority and a Republican Speaker (John Boehner, shown above), needs to pass a bill-- let's call it the Freedom of Conscience Act -- revising Obamacare to preclude the HHS from making any regulation requiring employers to provide insurance coverage including access to abortion, abortifacients, contraception or sterilization services, where those employers file a simple form stating that they have moral objections to providing such services.   (In other words, it's not just Catholics who might not like this requirement; I can imagine, for instance, that Southern Baptist charities or organizations wouldn't like it much either.   And, frankly, you don't have to be religious to conclude that life begins at conception; I came to that conclusion well before I married a Catholic.)

Then, the Republicans in the Senate need to demand that Harry Reid bring the bill to a vote in the Senate.   There are 23 Democratic Senators up for reelection this year.   I expect that many of them don't want to be on the wrong side of this issue, so you could get 60 votes necessary to bring the bill up.

Then it will be up to Obama to veto a bill in an election year that simply permits institutions like the Catholic Church's hospitals, charities, schools and universities to exercise their First Amendment rights.

Pass the Law Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment