"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Nuttier Nutshell for the Obamacare Contraception Mandate

Michael Gerson of the Washington Post boils down the Obamacare mandate on contraception to an admirably small nugget of truth:

Obama’s goal was not resolution but obfuscation. The contraceptive mandate was shifted from Catholic employers to insurance companies. Instead of being forced to buy an insurance product that violates their beliefs, religious institutions will be forced to buy an insurance product that contributes to the profits and viability of a company that is federally mandated to violate their beliefs.

A distinction, needless to say, without a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment