"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Here's How the Mainstream Media Thinks... And It's Not So Different From How A Lot of Americans Think

The mainstream media apparently thinks something like the following:

A 0% chance of Rick Santorum or the Catholic Church taking away your ability as an individual to purchase birth control is scary.

But a 100% chance of Barack Obama and the federal government forcing Catholics to purchase birth control (through insurance premiums) is just ducky.

This brand of liberal logic sounds familiar to me, because I hear it all the time from suburban parents.   An infinitessimal chance that your child will be kidnapped by a stranger requires endless nanny-state interventions in things like Halloween.   But a significant likelihood that public school sex education instruction and condom dispensing creates a climate where your children will engage in premarital sex... that's just good public health service.

We are a country that is way too susceptible to media-created boogeymen, and way too oblivious to real dangers around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment