"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Girl of the Day - Emmy Rossum Redux

It's almost the weekend, so it's almost time for Downton Abbey on Sunday.  We always watch Downton Abbey live, and then DVR Shameless to watch later in the week.   But the Regular Wife said a funny thing this week when we watched Shameless.   As gross as it is, as vile as the characters are (especially the Dad, Frank Gallagher, played by William Macy), as offensive it is to the Regular Wife's delicate Catholic sensibilities -- think "Church Lady," or "Sexy Librarian" -- she noted that it was "much better written than Downton Abbey."   So it is.  

And, at the heart of the show is the character of Fiona Gallagher, played by Emmy Rossum, who holds her family together (sort of) while her own love life is largely falling apart.   It's a great role, and she's great in it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment