"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blue Devils!

Every time I think I've lost interest in college basketball and my Duke Blue Devils, for whom I have rooted since I arrived at Duke for grad school in 1983 (the sophomore year of Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas and David Henderson, Coach K's first great recruiting class).... every time I think it's lost its drama because of the early exits of great players to the pros, something like last night comes along.   Austin Rivers, Duke's star freshman, the clock winding down, Duke down two after a furious rally (they'd been down by 10 with just over two minutes to play), calmly dribbles the ball to the right wing at the preferred 45 degree angle, gets a big (UNC's Tyler Zeller) to switch out on him, then freezes him with an almost imperceptible move forward and back, and then shoots a game-winning 24-foot three-pointer over him.   

Un.   Be.   Lievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment