"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy MLK Day

The Regular Guy is not big on Martin Luther King day.   It's not that I'm critical of MLK himself, it's just that it makes me a little mad that MLK day has become truly the only national holiday dedicated to an individual, while Lincoln's Birthday or Washington's Birthday are given short shrift as "President's Day," and even then it's mostly uncelebrated.  

Today, however, since our offices were closed, I took the Regular Family to the Milwaukee Public Museum to see an IMAX show on the Mysteries of Egypt (about the tomb of King Tut), and then for a stroll through an old-fashioned natural history museum replete with tableux of stuffed animals indigenous to North America, including a famous (in Milwaukee anyway) diorama of a buffalo hunt: 




Maybe it's me, but that sort of thing really gets me (maybe that's why Night at the Museum was such a big hit too). 

Anyway, the museum was packed with a lot of young families taking their kids out for the day, having fun looking at the stuffed animals, and a lot of those young families happened to be black.   And that brought home, better than any speeches or commemorations or politically-correct feature stories could, what the real message of MLK was -- that, underneath our skins, we're all the same.

In short, we're all members of the great race of Parents Looking for Something to Do With The Kids When School Is Out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment