"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Good Point on Families and Santorum

Lisa Schiffren makes a key point on NRO:


Traditional, nuclear families, composed of legally married mothers and fathers raising their children, allocating tasks as they wish, while taking care of those children and earning a living, are the basic unit of a self-sufficient society. If there is an institution more embattled in America than the traditional family, I can’t name it. Santorum gets this, which is important, as the out-of-wedlock childbearing rate continues to hover at a civilization-ending, way-past-unsustainable 40 percent. Anyone who wants to cut the size and scope of the welfare state, or repeal Obamacare, really needs to comprehend what that figure means, going forward. Because very few of those single moms will ever be able to pay for health care or education for their children. This is true regardless of what one thinks of the status of gay relationships, abortion, Catholic doctrine, or the price of tea in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment