"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, January 20, 2012

Girl of the Day - Gina Carano


Steven Soderbergh is one of the Regular Guy's favorite directors.   The first movie of his I can remember seeing was Sex, Lies and Videotape, about a damaged man's sexual perversion -- he gets off by videotaping women talking about their sex lives.   In all of his movies, from blockbusters like Ocean's 11 to an odd sci-fi film like Solaris to the weird satire on corporate corruption The Informant! to the horrifyingly realistic epidemic film Contagion, Soderbergh ha sshown me high intelligence without much concern about being "deep."   When he does genre films, like the crime caper Out of Sight with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez, they end up transcending the genre with smart dialogue and stylish visuals..

So when I hear that Soderbergh is doing a spy-on-the-run movie a la The Bourne Identity, only with a female lead drawn from the world of mixed martial arts, I'm all in.   The weekend Haywire opens with Gina Carano, a former MMA champion and complete movie novice, taking the lead as "Mallory," a CIA-trained assassin now targeted by mysterious forces, and I'm pretty sure that the Regular Son and I will be checking it out.  Here's the trailer:



No comments:

Post a Comment