"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More on Ron Paul

I haven't gotten my arms fully around Ron Paul's economic program, but I have to tell you, having been shamed into looking at his website, I like most of what I see in his "Plan to Restore America."   Among the things I like are the following:

  •  Cuts $1 trillion in spending during the first year of Ron Paul’s presidency, eliminating five cabinet departments (Energy, HUD, Commerce, Interior, and Education.
  •  Makes a 10% reduction in the federal workforce.
  • Lowers the corporate tax rate to 15%.
  • Repeals ObamaCare, Dodd-Frank, and Sarbanes-Oxley.
All of these commitments are good, solid, conservative, free market/libertarian ideas.  Most of all, they are common-sensical.   Do we really think that we can't possibly return the federal budget to 2006 levels?   Were we really so compassionless with our federal spending in 2006?   Do we really think that we can't make a 10% reduction in the federal workforce?   Are there really not 10% of the people in any bureaucracy whose jobs aren't really needed?   For that matter, why don't we cut the salary of everyone who remains by another 10%?   Do we really think that federal workers won't work for 10% less than they're making now?   That we won't be able to find people to do those jobs?   Come on.   On the corporate tax, do we really think that American corporations ought to be taxed at a higher rate than French corporations?   Put it that way, and I don't see Americans not buying in.

Still in the process of re-examining my unexamined comment about Ron Paul's weirdness.   But I wanted to keep my French reader (readers?) updated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment