"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Girls of the Day - Teri Garr, Rita Moreno

Two birthday girls today, Teri Garr, who turns 65, and Rita Moreno, who turns 80.   Both were supporting actresses who stole the shows in all-time great movies:  Garr as the buxom lab in Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, maybe the greatest American comedy ever; and Moreno as Anita, the saucy friend of Maria, in West Side Story, maybe the greatest American musical.   Here is Moreno's show-stopping moment, singing "America":



And here is Garr in a hilarious scene with Gene Wilder, in which they discover the "secret passageway":

No comments:

Post a Comment