"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Birthday Today - Puccini!

It's Giacomo Puccini's birthday today.   Probably the most melodic of all opera composers -- the closest to Broadway, in other words -- Puccini's great aria from Turandot is what first made me even think of liking opera (I'm still not quite there, but I occasionally will have a spasm of listening to opera that lasts a week or so, before I revert to rock and roll).   Here it is, from the "Three Tenors" concert:




Wow.   Just.... wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment