"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Girl of the Day - Katherine Hepburn




Weirdly, it's not Katherine Hepburn's birthday.   Apparently she pretended for years that November 8th was her birthday, when in fact it was her older brother's birthday.   (Her brother committed suicide when Hepburn was a girl, and the event obviously scarred her.)  

In any event, I began these girl of the day features last year by focusing on actresses of the 1930s, my favorite era, so Hepburn is a welcome return to that theme.   In reading Wikipedia about her, one thing that astonished me was that the movie Bringing Up Baby was a flop in 1938.   Hard to imagine:  to me it's the greatest of all the screwball comedies, and it's probably my favorite Hepburn movie.   Here's a great scene:




No comments:

Post a Comment