"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 21, 2011

Girl of the Day - Goldie Hawn



TV has become so fragmented, that it's hard to remember how someone on on a hit show in the 1960s could become a star almost overnight, because everyone -- and I mean everyone -- had their eyes glued to the tube, where there were only three networks' shows to choose from.   A hit from the 1960s that was cutting edge then but seems almost ridiculously quaint now, was Laugh-In, and the biggest breakout star from the show was the ditzy blonde, Goldie Hawn.   It's ridiculous to contemplate that she's now 66 years old, but then I don't know how I got to be 52 either.   Anyway, she was never my cup of tea, but there was something about her combination of sexiness and innocence at a time when the country was in an uproar that obviously struck a nerve for a lot of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment