"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What Isn't There


Twenty years ago today, Anita Hill testified that Clarence Thomas sexually harassed her.   The story was implausible at the time -- the details were so lewd and juvenile that it was impossible to square them with Thomas' public persona and personal history.   No other woman testified that Thomas had ever done similar things to her.  

Now, twenty years later, the story is even more ridiculous, primarily -- for me, anyway -- because of what isn't there.   Sexual deviants, sexual predators, sexual harassers invariably are repeat offenders.   A leopard doesn't change his spots.   But there has never been a whiff of scandal surrounding Thomas since, and his marriage to Ginny Thomas has, to all appearances, been a model of a loving, working marriage among educated, politically-engaged intellectuals at the highest levels of Washington.    Not once.  

I know I've written about this before (here).   But it bears repeating:  The fact that the Democratic Party went to the mattresses in 1991 to falsely label a successful black man as a sexual predator is a scandal of the first magnitude, a moral failure of supposed "liberals" that ought to shame them.

No comments:

Post a Comment