"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pujols and The Man


Albert Pujols paid a nice tribute to the greatest Cardinal, Stan Musial, in an interview in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this morning:

When someone asked him how daunting it was to be considered by Cardinals fans to be the franchise's second-most beloved star behind 90-year-old Cardinals legend Stan (The Man) Musial, Pujols sounded like a man with an abiding respect for the traditions of this storied franchise and an appreciation for the legacy of Musial:

"I don't think there is going to be anybody in this organization that can be compared to Stan Musial," he said. "Stan Musial is always going to be the top of this organization, the face of this organization. And I kind of get a little mad when people try to compare me with Stan. ... I just wish I could spend more time with Stan. He's sick now and not able to come around as much. But just last week (before the home opener of the NLCS) I went over and rubbed his arm and told him to give me a couple of those postseason hits that I know he still has in him. It's just amazing to see him around. I don't think there's ever going to be anyone in this organization who wears the uniform who will be compared to Stan Musial. He's always going to be on the top. It's why I don't want people to call me (El Hombre). There is only one Man and that's God, but here in St. Louis, it's Stan the Man."

Nice.   Musial is 90 now, and it would be very sweet indeed to get one more World Series pennant for him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment