"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Go Cardinals!


This has been a wild ride for the past six weeks, with the Cardinals charging from 10.5 games back to steal the wild card on the last day; then coming back from down 2-1 to the 102-game winning juggernaut Phillies to get into the NLCS; now coming back from losing the first game to the Brewers to win the next two.   Can the Cardinals really make it to the World Series?   I guess the answer is yes, and my reason for thinking so is that they won 90 games during the year with Albert Pujols missing time with a broken arm and having his worst season; with Matt Holliday missing time with a variety of ailments and having his worst season; with a second baseman playing  shortstop (Ryan Theriot) for most of the season; with an outfielder playing second base (Skip Schumaker) for most of the season; with a truly bad back-end of our bullpen for most of the season (most blown saves in the majors); and without arguably the game's best starting pitcher, Adam Wainwright.   90 games is still a lot in baseball, and that suggests that they were a better team than they shohwed.  Now that they have Rafael Furcal (a legitimately great fielding shortstop); Pujols hitting like, well, Pujols; and the back-end of the bullpen shored up with fireballing youngsters (Jason Motte, Mitchell Boggs, Fernando Salas, Lance Lynn), the Cardinals look a lot more like a 100-win team.  

I think I just jinxed them.

Please, please, please.... go Cardinals!

No comments:

Post a Comment