"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Girl of the Day - Jennifer Ehle


Life is short, so sometimes you just have to go back to first principles and choose what it is that makes life worth living, what gives meaning or pleasure to life.   If I had one TV series to take to the proverbial desert island with the Regular Wife, something we could watch again and again with pleasure, it might very well be the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version of Pride and Prejudice.   Can it really be sixteen years since it first aired?  We used to sit up nights watching and re-watching it on our VCR.   Since then, we've lived a lot of life with our three children, but every five years or so we'll pull it out (now on DVD) and watch it again.   Firth, of course, has gone on to great fame in the movies, including winning the Academy Award for The King's Speech only last year.   Ehle hasn't had the type of career I would have expected for her -- but, then, how do you follow playing Lizzie Bennet?

No comments:

Post a Comment