"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Girl of the Day - The Cards Are Fantastick! (Susan Watson)

My first Cardinals game was in the 1964 World Series.   That was the same fall my father took me to my first pro football game.   I remember the football game more clearly -- it was a rainy day, and the high school band members who played at half-time got stuck in the mud, and the football players in the second half were constantly pulling band shoes out of the muck, and the St. Louis Football Cardinals (the Big Red) tied the New York Giants 10-10.   But the baseball has stuck with me as my favorite sport since then.   Now the Cards are in my ninth World Series ('64, '67, '68, '82, '85, '87, '04, '06, '11).  

Anyway, looking back to October of 1964 through the miracle of the Internet, the big TV event was apparently a Hallmark Hall of Fame taping of the Broadway musical The Fantasticks, starring this young lady, Susan Watson -- just another wildly talented actress* time has almost entirely forgotten:



With the miracle of the Internet, I now know there were other things going on that month too:  the Tokyo Olympics, Martin Luther King winning the Nobel Peace Prize, the Rolling Stones on Ed Sullivan.   But the only thing I remember is the Cardinals. 




*  Watson also originated the role of Kim in Bye Bye Birdie on Broadway, only to have Ann-Margaret take the role for the flim version and go on to stardom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment