"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, October 7, 2011

Birthday Today - Johnny Cougar Version

John Mellencamp fka Johnny Cougar fka John Cougar Mellencamp turns sixty today.   It's an almost everyday occurrence on this blog that the Regular Guy is shocked that someone he remembers from his youth is suddenly at a fairly advanced age, but then again the Regular Guy himself is getting up there, and it's all happened so damn fast.   Anyway, Mellencamp's songwriting, while not on the level of a Springsteen, were very much a part of the background music for my early 20s, and if the measure of great music is that it lasts, well, then, his has lasted.   Here's one that I suspect the Regular Son will be playing in a garage band soon:


No comments:

Post a Comment